- Flights to Spain
- Transport from the airport to La Coruña city centre
- Valid Passport & ID card
- Visa (if applicable)
- Health insurance/EHIC health card
- Travel insurance
- Confirmation of your language course and accommodation booking
- Test online: please make sure that you have done the on-line level test.
All students must have a valid passport to travel to Spain. Your passport should be valid for more than six months after arrival. All students must bring their passport to the school on the first day so that we can photocopy it for our records. Non-EU students must also bring their visa for us to check that everything is correct.. If you have any questions, please contact your country’s embassy.
We strongly advise all students to obtain their own travel insurance and health insurance, prior to travelling to Spain. Spanish School Coruña is insured for any accidents that occur on the school premises, but neither Spanish School Coruña, nor our host families provide insurance of any kind against illness, accidents which occur outside the school premises, robbery or loss of personal property. Students from EEA countries should also obtain a European Health Insurance Card, for more information click on the link EHIC
What Should You Pack?
- Casual comfortable everyday clothing
- Something dressy for going out to restaurants/nightclubs/concerts.
- A jacket and a couple of hoodies or warm jumpers/sweatshirts, as both mornings and evenings can be quite chilly, even in summer.
- 1- 2 pairs of trainers or comfortable walking shoes. ( At 13 km La Coruña has the longest seaside promenade in Europe)
- Swimming togs/beachwear.
Any medications you require and a doctor’s prescription with your name on it.
A credit/debit card and some cash in euros.
All courses start any Monday. All lessons are 45 minutes long. All prices are per week unless otherwise stated (e.g. Summer Specials, extra night stay with host family).
- General Spanish 20: classes are from 9.30 – 13.00. There is a 30 minute break at 11.00. Max group size is 8 in the Summer (June, July and August) and 6 from September to May.
- Combination Course: The One-to-One component of the course will be timetabled to take place during the afternoon. Students will be allocated their timetable on the first day.
- One-to-One Course: Classes may be timetabled for either morning or afternoon. Students will be allocated their timetable on the first day.
- Minimum age is 17 from September – May and 16 in Summer season (June, July and August).
- General Spanish 20 courses are subject to a minimum number of 3 students per group. If there are less than 3 students in the same group, the number of lessons per week will be reduced as follows:
Number of lessons per week if registration is below the minimum of 3 students in that group
10 lessons + 6 Private lessons
12 lessons + 6 Private lessons
10 lessons + 10 Private lessons
12 lessons + 10 Private lessons
- Public Holidays: lessons will not be made up except for One-to-One/private lessons..
Certificates - Graduation
Our mini-graduation ceremony takes place every Friday at 1.00pm. Certificates are awarded to all students who have successfully completed their courses. Each certificate includes the student’s full name, a course description and the student’s overall level on completion of their course, in addition to a breakdown of their speaking, listening, reading and writing level.
Mondays: We have a welcome tour of Coruña every Monday from 5 – 7pm in order to help our new students become aquainted with our charming city.
Thursday night: Pub night with a teacher. A great opportunity to sample some of the local delicacies, tipples, have a laugh with your fellow students, and of course practice your Spanish!
We believe that going out exploring the city, shopping and visiting different monuments while relying on your own Spanish is crucial when it comes to improving your fluency in the language. The people of La Coruña are very friendly and although many of them have studied English while they were at School, most are too shy to speak English and are usually very happy to help you with directions etc in Spanish.
**Occasionally we offer some afternoon/evening activities which are subject to minimum numbers and a small fee.
Levels are from A1 – C2, Beginner to Proficiency.
Students are required to do the online level test prior to arrival in La Coruña. It consists of 50 multiple choice questions. To do it now, click on this link
The student orientation on the first day includes a quick informal interview with a teacher in order to evaluate their speaking level. This takes approximately 5 minutes.
Failure to do the online test prior to your arrival will result in you missing some of your lessons on your first day.
Attendance is checked carefully on a daily basis
Students are expected to attend class and to respect the rules regarding attendance. The rules are as follows:
- If students are going to be absent from class for any reason, they must notify reception either with a phone call or by email.
- Sick students must also notify their absence, even if it is something minor, that does not require a doctor appointment.
- If a student needs to see a doctor, reception will be happy to organise an appointment.
- Non EU students: there are very strict regulations regarding certain types of visas and attendance.
Spanish Only Policy
Spanish School Coruña has a Spanish only policy. Students are expected to endeavour to speak Spanish at all times and failure to do so could result in the student being asked to leave the school. However, in the case of a student encountering a problem which they cannot resolve in Spanish, by all means they may speak us privately in English.
Students under 18 years of age
1) Must provide a Signed Parental Guarantee and are required to carry this with them at all times while travelling to/from Spain. We will provide this document when we confirm the booking. During their stay in Spain, under 18s are expected to behave as responsible adults.
2) A Greeting & Transfer Service is obligatory for all under 18 year olds. On arrival the student will be met by a Spanish School Coruña representative at the airport and accompanied to either the school or their host families home. This service is only available from La Coruña airport and Santiago de la Compostela airport. Contact us for prices.
Prior to arrival students are given an emergency number which they can call in the event of an emergency outside of office hours.
- 9.20am: Please report to reception at 9.20am on your first Monday. Remember to bring your passport to give it to reception to photocopy.
- 9.30am: Student Orientation Meet other new students, do the oral test and get the school WIFI code and password, information about school, your book/materials and timetable.
- 10.15am: begin Spanish lessons
- 11.00am: 30 minute break
- 11.30am: Spanish lessons
- 13.00pm: end of lessons
- 17.00 -19.00pm: Welcome tour of city